Dr Jurie Conradie
Senior Lecturer in Mathematics
Degrees: M.Sc. (Stell.); Ph.D. (Cantab.)
- Distinguished Teacher Award (1992)
Teaching and research interests:
Functional Analysis, in particular:
- Locally solid topologies on Riesz spaces (vector lattices) and the interaction between topological and order structures in such spaces.
- C*- and Von Neumann-algebras; their interpretation as non-commutative `function spaces', and the order structures of such spaces.
Teaching: Abstract analysis, both at undergraduate level (e.g. real analysis, metric spaces, Hilbert space, integration theory) and at postgraduate level (functional analysis, topology, measure theory).
Mathematics education, in particular:
- The presentation of mathematics not in the school syllabus to school pupils in order to stimulate their interest in mathematics,
- discovery methods, and other strategies for encouraging student participation in mathematics lectures.
- (with J. Swart) On Schwartz operator ideals determined by the order-bounded sets in a Banach lattice, Bull. Inst. Math. Acad. Sinica 11 (1983), 525-548.
- (with J. Swart) A general duality result for precompact sets, Indag. Math. (N.S.) 1 (4), 409-416.
- Duality results for order precompact sets in locally solid Riesz spaces Indag. Math. (N.S.) 2(1), 19-28.