Home > Postgraduate > Applications


Before Form Visa International Housing
Before Applying Top
Make a formal application when
  • a staff member has agreed to be your supervisor & a broad reserach topic has been chosen (see Enquiries page)
  • and financing is arranged or at least being applied for with a good chance of getting enough.
Application Form Top
  • Go to   UCT's Application Forms Page   (.pdf file --- you'll need Acrobat Reader to print).
  • Download  
    • "Application for Admission to Study"
    • "Directions for Applicants"
    • "Code Tables to be used ..."
  • It's the same form for undergraduate and postgraduate applications, but at graduate level school information and results are NOT required - instead your university certificates and transcripts will be required.
  • Fill in the form. (Unfortunately, you can't submit electronically.)
  • Arrange payment of the application fee.
  • Collect all the supporting documentation and mail it.

Notes on filling in the form
For full details see the "Directions for Applicants" mentioned above.

  • Section A - Fill in name and date of birth info.
    For "Surname on senior certificate (IF different from above)", fill this in only if your surname has changed, and only if that previous surname appears on your BSc or MSc or school certificate.
  • Section B
    under   "Academic Programme"   put "SH001" for Honours study in the Faculty of Science
      "SM001" for MSc study in the Faculty of Science
      "SD001" for PhD study in the Faculty of Science
    under   "Academic Plan"   put "AMA" for Applied Maths
      "ASS" for Astrophysics and Space Science
      "INM" for Industrial Maths
      "MFN" for Mathematics of Finance
      "MTP" for Mathematical & Theoretical Physics
      "MTM" for Mathematics
      "MCS" for Maths of Computer Science
    under   "Plan 2 ..."   put nothing  
  • Sections C & D - Contact & Parent info.
    Fill this in.
  • Section E & F - School Info.
    Leave this blank.
  • Section G - List anything you've done since leaving school, except further study.
  • Section H - Provide your higher education info here.
    Attach certified copies of BSc & MSc certificates and transcripts with your application.
  • Section I - UCT residence application.
    Fill in only if you want to apply for a university residence room. The main one for graduate students is Woolsack. Many graduate students don't stay in residence, but foreign students may wish to apply.
  • Section J - Undergraduate funding application.
    DON'T fill this in. Postgraduate funding applications are separate.
  • Section K - Declaration.
    You must sign it. Parent's details & signature ONLY needed if you're under 21.
What to Submit
  • Filled in application form
  • Certified copies of BSc and MSc certificates and transcripts
  • Application fee   (in 2007:   R90 for SADC countries,   R300 for rest of world)
  • [Non-South Africans]    Proof of Medical cover.
  • [Non-South Africans]    Proof of English language competancy MAY be required. (Various options, e.g. TOEFL result, phone interview, etc.)
ROUGH guide to South African visa requirements (2003) Top
My best information on applying for a study permit/visa at the South African Consulate in your country, is that you will need:
  • A letter offering you a place at UCT.
  • Proof you have enough funds for your stay in South Africa, including e.g. scholarship award letters.
  • Proof of medical cover. You can buy medical cover here after you arrive, but you must have existing medical cover for your travel and at least your first month here. It may be worth getting 3 to 6 months of medical cover if it's not too costly --- see just below.
  • A refundable deposit ("repatriation guarantee") --- the amount varies between countries.
  • I suspect there'll be an application fee too.
  • Be sure to check for yourself with your local consulate etc.
International Students: Fees, Medical Cover, Etc Top
Here's the Catch-22:   You can't get scholarship money until you've registered at UCT, and you can't register until you've got long term medical cover (min 3 to 6 months) and paid your international term fees in full, and you can't pay without money. Also, you often need to pay a flat deposit before moving in. Arranging medical cover can take several days, and meanwhile you need money for food & housing. Also, UCT scholarships are first used to pay your fees (1st semester), and only if anything is left over do you get a pay out. To avoid this difficulty:
  • be ABSOLUTELY SURE whether you have a scholarship and how much it is;
  • be ABSOLUTELY SURE you have enough money BEFORE you come to South Africa;
  • bring enough money to cover international term fees, medical cover and food & accomodation for your first month or two (or before you leave home, buy medical cover for the first 3 to 6 months),
  • OR   possibly arrange with your supervisor for a loan on arrival, which you refund immediately your scholarship is released. Not many supervisors will be in a postion to do this, so ask first.
Housing Top
You will need a place to stay on arrival. Your options are:
  • Apply for a residence place --- it's part of the UCT admission application form --- emphasise you are a foreign student. (See also UCT's UCT Residence Applications page.)
  • UCT's "Campus Accomodation and Letting" has an off campus accomodation bulletin board You can often book by web or phone. You may need your supervisor to confirm that you're coming.
  • See page 3 of the General Application Information (.pdf) document for phones & emails of UCT's accomodation offices (on & off campus accomodation).
  • Get a friend in Cape Town to help you.
  • Arrange to stay with someone in Cape Town while you look for a place, but note the next point.
  • NOTE: Start LONG before the beginning of 1st semester (mid Feb), otherwise there'll be hardly any accomodation left.